Battling acne and seeking that elusive, clear skin? At Russak Dermatology Clinic, we treat acne and acne-related hyperpigmentation (or discoloration) with a comprehensive approach to target the different factors that can contribute and exacerbate acne. We don’t stop at one solution but institute a multi-faceted treatment plan that includes prescription medications and chemical peels.
What are the factors that contribute to acne?
There are four different factors that can contribute to acne:
- Hormonal and extrinsic stimulation of the sebaceous (oil) glands resulting in the production of more sebum (oil).
- The pilosebaceous unit (hair follicle and oil gland) becomes clogged by the sebum and shedding skin cells which forms a comedone (whitehead/blackhead.)
- There is an increase in the colonization of bacteria, propionibacterium acnes.
- There is an overall increase in inflammation due to the presence of propionibacterium acnes.
What solutions are available to combat acne and promote clear skin?
At our practice, we use different prescription medications (both topical and oral) to help combat acne including clindamycin, benzoyl peroxide, and retinoids. But we don’t stop there. We almost always recommend combining these medicines with chemical peels like the Jessner’s peels and beta hydroxy acid (BHA) peels. They not only help fight acne at its source, but target hyperpigmentation caused by acne breakouts so you can experience brighter, healthier-looking skin.
How does a Jessner’s Peel help combat acne?
- Salicylic acid penetrate the pilosebaceous gland and helps to draw out impurities to minimize acne flare-ups.
- Lactic acid brightens the skin and diminishes the appearance of pigmentation.
- Resorcinol helps exfoliate the skin resulting in a smoother and brighter appearance.
How does the BHA Peel promote clearer skin?
- Salicylic acid penetrates the pilosebaceous gland and helps to draw out impurities to minimize acne flare-ups.
- Glycolic acid brightens the skin for a healthy, luminous glow.
For the best results, and to achieve clear skin for the long-term, we recommend a series of 3-5 chemical peels spaced one month apart.